The Gooch Cup
The Gooch Cup which is the most prestigious handicap cup in Western Australia was donated to the Western Australian Polo Association in 1926 by the late Gordon G Gooch Esq of Wandagee Station, which is situated in the West Gascoyne.
Gordon Gooch was a loyal and highly respected supporter of polo and President of the WAPA for a number of years. In latter years he resided in Perth and was a very familiar figure at polo fixtures.
The cup is an extremely elegant example of hand beaten sterling silver and to most polo players still remains one of the most difficult to win. The Gooch has been played for every year up to the present time, save for a short break during World War 11.
Information provided by Leonard Hamersley.
1927 Gooch Cup between Mingenew and Narrogin clubs, (left to right)Burgess (Mingenew), O’Halloran (Mingenew), C. Readhead (Mingenew), A. Hardie (Narrogin), J. Brown (Narrogin), C. O’Connor (Narrogin) Photo courtesy of The State Library of W.A.
The Charles Cup is Western Australia’s premier polo cup. The beautiful silver current cup is actually the third cup donated by Joseph Charles esq. Joseph Charles presented the first cup many years prior with the proviso that should the cup be won for three years in succession by the same team then that team would win the cup outright. On two occasions this phenomenon was achieved and both times by the then famous Broomehill Polo Club. On the second occasions the team as captained for the three years by the late Edgar Richardson. It was only after these events that Joseph Charles who was not only an extremely staunch supporter of polo in WA, but also President of the WA Polo Association presented the third Charles Cup in 1929. The cup was presented as a perpetual cup to be played for in WA and stipulated to be played from scratch, (no handicap advantage). The hand beaten figure on the sterling silver masterpiece is from an actual match photograph taken from a contest between teams from Broomehill and Mingenew.
Broomehill Team: Bob Louden, Ivor Roberts, Edgar Richardson (C), Bernard House
Mingenew team: Reg Percy, Charlie Readhead, Colonel Irwin Burges, Harold Readhead
It is worthy to note that the majority of the players mentioned were ex members of the celebrated 10th Australian Light Horse Regiment.
Donated by Harry Darlot Esq (Pastoralist) and was first played for in 1928. It is presented to the Runners Up of the Charles, or to the Subsidiary winners.
Lee Steere Cup
Donated by Sir Ernest Lee Steere (Pastoralist). It is to be played for with no handicap advantage (off the stick) and is presented to the winners of the B Grade competition.
AJ Hardie – Champion Pony
Donated around 1956 by Albury Hardie who played for Narrogin and Broomehill prior to the war. It was first won by a black mare from Mt Augustus Station – “Flirt” played by Dudley Farrar.
EWB – Champion Team of Ponies
Donated by Economic Wool Producers. Presented to the Best team of ponies of the tournament.
WA Hunt Club – Champion Novice Pony
Presented annually to the best pony playing in its first official season.
Ian Webster Memorial – Champion WA Bred Pony
Donated to the Perth Polo Club in 1994 by the friends of “Stretch” in memory of his dedication, and love of polo, horses and friends. It is presented annually for the best WA bred pony over the season.
The Campbell Memorial Trophy
February 1967. Mrs HM Campbell of Balmoral Serpentine donated to polo a trophy to be competed for annually and to be won by the most improved player in Western Australia, with his team and club spirit to be considered.
The purpose of the trophy is to encourage young or new players in the sport; the award will be made to a player who has shown the greatest improvement in his game during the current or just past season and who shows a willingness to assist with some of the duties attached to the smooth running of their club.
Judging the award has been vested in the Handicap Committee.
This perpetual trophy is known as the Campbell Memorial Trophy and is given and received in memory of Mr JM Campbell and his son John R Campbell.